Rosetta and Philae may have travelled around the Solar System, but their adventures are far from over! With the conclusion of the Rosetta Strato Charity Campaign, we have several Rosetta toys to distribute to educators around the world. Therefore, we announce a competition for the Universe Awareness network: design an educational activity for kids that uses the Rosetta toy as a resource, and win a Rosetta toy!
We can think of many ways to use a plush toy as a resource in an educational setting. However, we would like to see how you would bring Rosetta and Philae into a lesson plan! Would you talk about gravity? Would you discuss technology? How about forces and orbits, or science in general? Perhaps you would have students actively interact with the toy, or maybe use it as a hook for introducing a subject in science.
The best ideas will be rewarded with one of the Rosetta toys, donated by the backers of the Indiegogo campaign. Also, after the competition, the winners will have the opportunity to develop the activity further and have their idea published as an IAU astroEDU activity!
Submissions can be sent by this Google form, images by Dropbox.
Write a clear overview of ~250 words of how you, or your team, would use a Rosetta toy in an educational activity. Your proposal should at least describe the following:
Name of the activity.
What is this activity about?
What will the children learn?
How will the children learn this?
How will the Rosetta toy be used?
You are welcome to provide additional information, or add pictures and photographs.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE KEEP A BACKUP OF YOUR ENTRY.
The goal of this competition is to design and propose an educational activity for kids, that you and other educators can do by using the Rosetta plush toy. Submit your idea for an activity in ~250 words. Submitting images is optional.
Launch: 01 March 2017
Deadline: 01 April 2017
Winners announced: 15 April 2017
- Submission is open to educators from any country.
- Only one entry per participant can be rewarded.
- A participant can be an individual, or a team.
- Entries should contain an activity of educational value. Please note: the Rosetta toys are meant for educational and outreach activities, not for individual use.
- Entries can be submitted by this Google Form, images can be submitted via Dropbox.
- Send images as separate files in the following formats only: jpg, png, gif, or a zip file.
- Deadline for submission is 1 April 2017.
- Each submission should include name, country, email, role in UNAWE network and then: name of activity + the info that's under the section "Submissions".
- Submissions will not be returned (so keep a backup).
- Following the IAU astroEDU license, Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Unported, all submissions will be accounted under the same license.
- All entries may be displayed on the Universe Awareness website, the IAU astroEDU open-access platform for peer-reviewed science education activities, and on social media.
- Entries have to be original and not previous work or copied from elsewhere.
For questions or comments, please contact Tibisay at email@example.com.
About the Rosetta toy
The Rosetta plush toy is 33 cm high, 16 cm deep, and a whopping 95.5 centimeters wide! Little Philae sits on its partner Rosetta and together they have traversed our Solar System on a 12 year long mission to study comet 67P. Together, Rosetta and Philae also star in their own cartoon show.
You can submit your ideas individually, or as a team!